In each of 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018, the federal government passed complex amendments to the Income Tax Act. The policy underlying these changes was the notion that private corporations were enjoying unintended tax benefits that were not available to taxpayers who were not shareholders of a private corporation.
The changes were intended to remove the perceived benefits to private corporation shareholders. Consequently, the burden or impact of the changes has disproportionately affected private companies. In general terms, the changes have altered and expanded the rules for:
- Determining eligibility for the low rate of tax on business income;
- Taxation of dividends received from private companies;
- Intercorporate dividends between private companies;
- Calculation of refundable tax, including creation of two categories of refundable tax;
- Taxation of intercompany charges within a corporate group; and
- A variety of related technical issues.
These changes will increase the tax payable by many private companies and/or their shareholders. In addition, preparing corporate tax returns in compliance with the complex changes requires more time on the part of accountants and imposes significant additional costs on private companies.
We have contacted our clients to inform them of the complications these tax amendments have created. For more information on how the changes are affecting your corporate tax return, we recommend you speak to your accountant today.
- Client News
- Estate Planning
- Film & Television
- Industry News
- Seminars + Presentations
- Strategic Insights
- Success Stories
- Tax Legislation
- Tax Tips for 2016 Tax Year
- Tax Tips for 2017 Tax Year
- Tax Tips for 2018 Tax Year
- Tax Tips for 2019 Tax Year
- Walsh King
- Walsh King Company Culture
- Walsh King News
- The Value of a Business Valuation
- Selling a Business Is an Important Decision – Do You Know the Tax Implications?
- What You Need to Know About Canadian and B.C. Film Tax Credits
- Partner Kevin Walsh Set to Speak at Exit This Way – Sell Your Business With Confidence
- What You Need to Know About Construction Management System Implementation or Upgrade
- THE FILM PRODUCTION LIFE CYCLE